SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1886

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Fri Feb 11 19:09:26 PST 2000

Sorry for jumping in at this late date but I hadn´t really been reading this
thread:

>Note that of the two researchers, one is studying Alaskan cultures, and the
>other Newfoundland culture.  What has that to do with 11th century Northern
>Europe?  Unless they are basing their information on studies of the bodies
of
>Viking explorers ...

If such bodies were to be found, this is probably exactly the information
they would give. Teeth of skeletons excavated from 11th and 10th century
Icelandic churchyards and other burial sites are always very worn, even in
quite young people, and I believe the same applies to the Norse
Greenlanders. That may be because dried fish and meat and other "hard food",
as we call it, was a large part of their diet.

Nanna