SC - Weather Forecast for Estrella XVI

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 13:28:02 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/13/00 12:59:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ringofkings at mindspring.com writes:

<< white carrots to name
 a few) >>

White carrots are not extinct. You can buy the seed through any good seed
supplier. I have 10 packets laying in front of me now. The seed packet says
that they were first grown and used in 10th century Persia. They are open
pollinated so I will be leaving a few to over winter for seed production next
year (carrots are biennial). Open pollinated purple, red and yellow carrots
are also available.

There are also period varieties of apples still in existent in the same form
as they were in the middle ages such as Lady apples. Apples varieties are
propagated by grafting not by seed so the existing Lady apples are not
different from the original Lady apple.

Not all gardeners are on the 'hybrid' bandwagon. Many of us take great care
to plant open pollinated types and save seed from year to year. This doesn't
mean that serious gardeners shun hybrids but rather a concerted effort to
keep heirloom and historical varieties alive and well is in place. For
example, there may be many varieties of dill but some of us still grow and
use with regularity the standard type that has existed for millennium. The
same holds true for a multitude of other plants and animals. We have chicken,
cattle, sheep and plant breeds that were in existence throughout the SCA time
period. Unchanged. There are organizations whose members go to great lengths
to preserve and grow the old varieties. One of the new additions to my
perennial beds this year will be sea kale which I finally managed to track
down at Thomas Jefferson's home in Montecello. In 3 years I will have enough
of a stand to serve it at feast. The position that we no longer have foods
that are exactly the same as those used in the middle ages is an erroneous
concept. It simply is not true.

Be that as it may, I don't think that those of us on the list that advocate
being as close to period as possible are out of line. There are standards for
the practice of any art in the SCA and cookery should be no exception.
Encouraging beginners to try to be as authentic as possible should be top
priority in any art form.

There are cooks who present a feast that is clearly not period and they
deceptively present it as period. There is no problem with beginning cooks
preparing 'medievalish' dishes or even with advanced practitioners presenting
fun and/or periodlike dishes or even using non-period ingredients IF they
clearly state this is what they are doing in their menus. The real problem is
Kitchen Stewards who dishonor the art by deceptively presenting a dish as
'period' when it is not.

So far as ingredients being unavailable locally, many can be grown, most can
be ordered from somewhere or the other and with a little preplanning they are
not costly. For instance, Phlip was able to track down rabbits on the hoof
for a buck and a quarter apiece for a feast. That was much less expensive
than chicken. I get goat from Wegman's for a dollar and ninety-nine cents a
pound. Blood is free. Oftentimes they throw in livers and other ingredients
for a 'donation' mention in the menu or ingredients list flier. Pig heads
were problematical, I admit but after I suggested that they sell the jowls
and ears to me and leave the bones, skin and other things attached to them
there was no problem.

Game, although not the same species in most instances, is readily gotten in
my area at least. One of the most often heard phrases is 'Would you like some
venison? We are getting tired of eating it.' It certainly is not considered
exotic fare. While it may not be the exact species, it is close and it is
better than using commercial beef when it is available. The cost is free
except for a hunting license. The last venison I used was gotten after I
watched an 18 wheeler turn it's head into a bag of jelly. The police were
dutifully called and they helped tie it to the car.

Other folks mileage may vary but doing the best you can with what is
available, preplanning, bulk purchasing, growing your own or having someone
else grow it, letting the vendors/merchants know what you want in advance,
and carefully planning the menu around what is available/seasonal and only
using recipes which contain ingredients that are available will almost always
result in a feast that  is as close to period as possible for any given area.

Ras