SC -A Nautical Feast or a Sailors best meat I mean mate

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 03:26:49 PST 2000

Ras wrote a long message about various sources for the more exotic food
items and ended with this:

> Other folks mileage may vary but doing the best you can with what is
> available, preplanning, bulk purchasing, growing your own or having someone
> else grow it, letting the vendors/merchants know what you want in advance,
> and carefully planning the menu around what is available/seasonal and only
> using recipes which contain ingredients that are available will almost always
> result in a feast that  is as close to period as possible for any given area.

For those interested in more suggestions and ideas on procurring the
more unusual foods, or the more common stuff more cheaply, you might be
interested in looking at some of the files in my Florilegium.

In the FOOD section:
food-sources-msg  (36K)  3/19/99    Modern sources for unusual medieval
meats
                                       and other foods.
marrow-msg        (18K)  2/ 3/99    Getting bone marrow. Recipes with marrow.

In the FEASTS section:
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with
your local
                                       butcher.

In the ANIMALS section:
butchering-msg    (35K)  2/25/99    Overview of butchering livestock and game.
butch-goat-art    (16K)  7/14/98    "Butchering a Live Goat, for (and
by)
                                       Beginners" by Charles McCathieNevile.
pig-to-sausag-art (17K)  8/31/98    From pig to sausage by Mordonna
Dubois.

Hope this helps.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net