SC - Eggs - cooking time

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Mon Feb 14 21:43:03 PST 2000

Akim Yaroslavich said:
> Ras writes:
> >>White carrots are not extinct. You can buy the seed
> through any good seed supplier. I have 10 packets laying
> in front of me now. The seed packet says that they were
> first grown and used in 10th century Persia. <<
>
> I stand corrected.  A few sources I had read indicated that they
> were extinct and I thought that the modern white carrots being
> bred were a modern back-breeding and crossing of the original
> wild carrot stock.  Either that, or they were the  result of something
> like Gurney's and Burpee's reward for the first pure white marigolds.
> If you would be so kind as to look at the packets you have and
> share the name of the seed company that markets these carrots,
> I am sure many of us would be most appreciative.

I was also under the impression that the white carrots were obtained
by back-breeding and or breeding with the carrot ancestor. You may
be well ahead of the info I have, but you might want to try checking
some of the seed companies detailed in this file in the PLANTS, HERBS
AND SPICES section of my files:
seeds-msg         (51K) 12/21/99    Sources for period plants and seeds.

And certainly if you find more information on these white carrot
seeds I'd love to have it to add to this file.

> or making a powderpuff for Elizabethan cosmetics
> (which you also compound) by killing a mole, curing the
> pelt, carving the wood base and putting the whole thing
> together with period tools (which you also made yourself).
> SIMPLY AWESOME!!

Have you done this? I have a little information on cosmetics in my
files, but I'd love to have more. A simple message on techniques or
resources would be fine. An article even better. If you only have
a class handout, I have and can work from those.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net