SC - re: new world food rant

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Tue Feb 15 08:31:10 PST 2000

Unfortunately, it's often too late to change most adults because their minds
won't be changed.  I applaud parents that I see letting their five and under
kids try sushi, Thai...they don't let them get into the mindset that there are
only four things in the world that they will eat.

- ---
I ate that stuff because it grossed out my older brother.  Especially if it had
tentacles.  Around the time he stopped being appropriately disgusted, I
discovered that I really liked this stuff.

He is one of those people who will only eat a very specific set of things.  Just
that his very specific set is very large.  Some very normal foods that he just
*won't* eat.  And some absolute exotics that he *won't* do without.  Me, I'm a
human garbage can.

Personally, I think my nephew had it best when it came to learning to like those
odd sorts of food.  Near my dad's office at the time there was a store
(resteraunt?) which was Chinese (Japanese? Thai?)...Asian.  And the little old
couple that ran it was so pleased by the fact that this adorable American baby
liked this kind of food that they stuffed him with squid and eel and peculiar
pickled things that made my sister squeal.

- -M