SC - lemonaid and a "sangria

The Cheshire Cat cheshire at southcom.com.au
Tue Feb 15 14:50:46 PST 2000

<<< 'In respect to these 1000 years, we have thousands of 15th century
recipes, we have -- maybe -- hundreds of 14th century recipes, we have a
few 13th century recipes; ...'

We have hundreds of 13th century recipes--al-Baghdadi, Manuscrito
Anonimo, and at least one untranslated Andalusian cookbook. Not to
mention a big 10th century collection, some of whose components
appear to be late 8th or early 9th century. Of course, its in Arabic
and untranslated. >>>

When we were discussing turkey, we were speaking about its use and role
in 16th century Europe, and there was a question, whether or not the
16th century was of any importance. I think it is. Let me try again:

  "In respect to extant recipes and in respect to (central) Europe
   out of the centuries between 500 and 1600, the 15th and the 16th
   are very important ones. So, the 16th century cannot easily
   be said to be unimportant compared to previous centuries."

Sure, the recipe statistics looks different for other cultures. Thank
you for pointing that out.

BTW, do we know anything about post 13th-century arabic sources?

Best,
Thomas