SC - Carrot candy and carrot jalabs

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Feb 15 19:25:31 PST 2000

- --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Huette said:
> > They were predicting that strawberries will be
> very
> > inexpensive this year.  They had no prediction
> about
> > the Northern California crop yet as it won't be
> ready
> > for picking for another three months.
>
> Wow! Three months differance between the harvesting
> time of the
> same fruit in th north and the south? I would have
> thought one
> or two months at the most.
>
> Is this an unusual case due to the particular crop?
> Or would the
> harvest times differ than much in medieval Europe
> for the same crop?

No. Northern California has a slightly different
climate that Southern California. Please remember that
we are a very long state and the 3rd largest in the
US. Northern California is in a higher latitude than
Southern California.  They actually get rain during
the winter and even occasionally snow. We get
occasional rain and never snow.  I suspect the actual
difference in harvest time reflects the actual
planting times of the crop.  We here in Southern
California have been having a warm, dry winter [up
until last Friday, when it actually started raining]
and the strawberries have been responding to the warm,
dry weather.  Northern California at the same time has
been inundated with rain this winter and are
experiencing some flooding, etc.

I am not an expert on agriculture by any means.  But I
am sure that Spain plants their crops earlier than
Germany does, and Germany plants their crops earlier
than Sweden does.  Probably this held true during
Medieval Times too.

Huette