SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1894-Mundane Nobles

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:31:05 PST 2000

Margali wrote:

>Good question pops into my mind -
>Does the list have an opinion [I know, stupid statement] on whether our
>modern food with its comlpement of preservatives, chemicals and so forth
>makes us less able to appreciate the flavors of medieval cooking? I was
>playing with recipes and taking them to work to my fellow guinea pigs,
>and some of the moer delicate goodies [apcian custards with very subdued
>flavors, black pepper, honey, rose petals and the like; different spice
>combo gingerbredes, marchpanes with rosewater and both types of
>cinamon....most of them couldnt taste the difference between cinnamons!]

I don't think it's the preservatives as much as it is
a) the oversugaring and or oversalting of most pre-packaged foods resulting
in most people having their 'taste' tuned to fit these expectations.
b) your 'taste' has been 'tuned' otherwise due to your eating habits.

Most people don't appreciate subtle differences because they are used to
'taste' which hits them over the head.  Given time and opportunity, they
learn to appreciate this other range of flavors. Usually.

Bonne