SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1902

Devra@aol.com Devra at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 08:59:39 PST 2000

> "Amanda B. Humphrey" wrote:
> > I am looking for a reference to radishes being period.  I am currently preparing
> > an art/sci entry and need to document the things I am using for my
> > soltetie.  I have thus far been able to find turnips, and apples, and
> > parsley, etc.  But radishes seem to elude me at every turn.  Could someone
> > suggest a book or web site or just a bibliography type reference that mentions radishes?

>Um, yes, in compost. There's also a sugar candy which uses radishes as a
>substitute for pepper, IIRC. Pynades or some such. But cooked in cream
>sauce in period, I'm not aware of anything like that. On the other hand,
>since period ended (roughly) some sixteen generations ago, it's quite
>possible what he says is correct, but they could still not be period.
>Adamantius

Pynade
Curye on Inglysch p. 79 (Diuersa Servicia no. 91)
  For to make a pynade, tak hony and rotys of radich & grynd yt smal in
a morter, & do to + at hony a quantite of broun sugur. Tak powder of
peper & safroun & almandys, & do al togedere. Boyl hem long & held yt on
a wet bord & let yt kele, & messe yt & do yt forth.
- --
Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
Known as a forester of the Greenwood, Midrealm
 http://web.raex.com/~agincort