SC - Period plant sources

Catherine Keegan keegan at mcn.org
Tue Feb 22 09:07:25 PST 2000

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>
> > primarily the woodland strawberry, the musky strawberry and the alpine
>
> Fragaria vesca (and F. viridis and F. moschata)?
> (http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/rosa/fraga/fragves.html)
>
> /UlfR
>
> Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se

That's it, except looking at my notes on the subject, most of the European
alpine strawberries are actually variants of F. vesca.  F. viridis is a
species with green berries and F. moschata have a musky flavor.  IIRC, F.
vesca has 14 chromosomes, F. moschata has 47, and the New World species have
52.  Before molecular botany, almost every variant was classed as a separate
species, but the botanists have condensed that down to the three species you
state.

Alpine variants grow above the timberline in the mountains and occur in both
the Old World and New World species.

Bear