SC - War oven

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 23 08:13:39 PST 2000

Johann von Metten, poultrier, writes:
 Many years ago while I was studing in Bavaria I was going through the
monatic library at Metten Abbey. Metten is the Great-Grandmother house
of my own community here in Indpls. so that is how I came to be there.

  While there I came across a tome called " Gottes lieb fur Mann"
'God's Love for Man' which turned out to be a cookbook of monastic
cuisine dating from the mid 14thc. through to the (temporary)
dissoulution of the house in 1840 by King Ludwig I. I asked for more
info and was told that it had (of course) been compiled by various
cellarers and that copies had been exchanged between Metten, Einsedeln,
Salzburg, and Munster communities.

I currently have a few rather dog-eared copied leaves of this treasure
left to me, and having recently heard that Einsendeln Abbey in
Switzerland was going to publish their monatic cookbook entitled '1,000
years of monastic cooking'. I was curious if anyone else here had heard
of such a book or had any other leads on monastic cooking practices.
 It seems to me that with a growing interest in vegetarian cooking this
would be an ideal source as the Rule of Benedict discourages the meat of
4 legged animals and restricts the use of fowl to Sundays and other
feastdays when the customary fast is prohibited.

 Any thoughts or ideas about this would be appreciated, I have quoted
these copies in past A&S projects, but now feel that I should have a
more servicable copy, not being able to access Metten library again
without going there, I ask if anyone else has seen or heard of such.

Johann von Metten