SC - Distress in Trimaris

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 06:23:22 PST 2000

Angeline writes:

<>

I have just acquired a copy.  It is a large, handsome volume, full of
Scully's intense scholarship, but lacking the traces of whimsy sometimes
found in his other works.  There is a detailed analysis of the late-15th
century manuscript, and full discussion of its relation to other works of the
era, especially to Catalan recipe collections.

The recipes themselves seem to have been compiled by a single individual,
well-versed in the art of cooking, and frequently contain specific
measurements and cooking tips, as well as an occasional witty remark!  It is
divided into "chapters" of general foods, meats, "marvels", stuffings,
sauces, tortes, eggs, Lenten dishes, fritters and fish.  There are also seven
banquet menus, of some complexity, some of which are attributed to specific
individuals of note.

Among the recipes are numerous, familiar pasta dishes (just waiting for
tomato sauce to be introduced!), lots of elegant sauces (some of which Scully
thinks may be the invention of the cook responsible for this work), and a
detailed recipe for eggplant, which Scully claims is unique in recipe
collections of the era (at least in non-Arabic sources).  There are lots of
"foreign" recipes, including many Catalan and French dishes. I was personally
pleased to find a Lombard sauce (a simple green garlic sauce with vinegar).

I was disappointed that Scully chose not to translate the banquet menus.
Anyone wishing to recreate one of these feasts, not familiar with this
archaic Italian dialect, will have to spend a lot of time referring to the
very comprehensive glossary.

All in all, a splendid work, and I trust we will be seeing redactions and
adaptations of these recipes coming forth before too long.  (I'm considering
making a Papal Torte for Mid-Lent.)

Rudd Rayfield