SC - Distress in Trimaris

WOLFMOMSCA@aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 05:01:40 PST 2000

>Ras wrote:
>>I recall reading somewhere that people were met at the entrance to the hall
>>by servants with towels and hand washing bowls as the entered. I don't recall
>>the source of the information though. :-(

I don't know about this custom, but I know that around Plantagenet England
time  that it was the custom at lent IIRC that the nobility used to humble
themselves by washing and annointing the feet of the poor with their own
hands.  Maybe has something to do with Christ's humbling of himself at the
Last Supper when he washed the feet of his discliples or something to that
effect.  They were supposed to have worn sackcloth  as a further humbling.
Then there was largess in the form of broken meats and breads being given
away by the sackful.    I don't recall where I got this either.  Can anyone
help with this.  I think Royalty would have something to say about it if at
an Easter feast you handed them a bowl of water, a towel, a vial of oil and
a sackcloth tunic and told them to get washing though =>  ( Sorry, being
totally irreverant at the moment)
- -Katerine