SC - Public Consumption [Was Distress in Trimaris]

margali margali at 99main.com
Sun Feb 27 11:32:06 PST 2000

>At Caer Frig we had a separate "kitchen" tent which Ras >stocked with,
amongst a miriad of other things, over 100 >spices, all sorts of his
home canned foods - and the  >salamander. :-)

the canned meats were great, and the quick couscous was very useful; the
spice selection was fabulous and a joy to work with, including the
murri!

>Margali brought more spices and stuff, and two (or was it >three)?
coolers of meat and shrimp,

two coolers - 40 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, 3 lbs shrimp, 6
whole ducklings, 4 whole deboned legs of lamb, whipped cream cheese and
whipped butter.

>and there were all sorts of other contributions from camp >members....
We had an assortment of gas stoves to cook on, >plus the firepit with
Phlip's ironwork set up she forged....

not to mention the spiffy fireiro set from Thorclaw...

>but I can't think off hand of
>any real cooking "disasters" happening at Caer Frig... anyone?

>Elysant

Well, the hummus got green and fuzzy, but it did have the result of a
very fun memory of using walnuts and other goodies to make white sals
from scratch, including pounding the nuts into paste! Rob has decided he
is going to use the oak tree section we have had curing in the barn to
make a mortar instead of a dishing stump, so we can process useful
amounts of food in a period way. I was thinking of a baseball bat as the
pestle...
margali
[all in all, one of the more pleasurable pennsics I have had in a
while!]