SC - New thread on an old topic.... Packing for events...

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Sun Feb 27 18:31:04 PST 2000

>Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:58:02 -0600
>From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
>Subject: Re: SC - Suggestions for a mushroom dish?
>
>Adamantius commented:
>> ...you might
>> be better off with a bean dish, which is probably less likely to cause
>> allergic reactions than mushrooms, statistically (I think!).
>
>Really? I remember cautions here on allergies to fava beans, particularly
>allergies among folks of southern European descent. I don't remember any
>comments about mushroom allergies. I thought some just didn't like them.
>(like my wife).
>
>More details please.

It is true that there are a goodly number of people who are allergic to
mushrooms.  Since they are a fungus, and many people are allergic to
various forms of fungi (molds, mildews, etc.) some are also allergid to
mushrooms.  This does not mean that EVERYONE who is allergic to mold is
allergic to mushrooms, certainly not. But the potential is there.  I know
two people who are allergic to mushrooms, one of whom swells up so badly in
the mouth and throat that it can cause a medical emergency if she eats too
many.  It is very sad, because she LIKES mushrooms.

- -Laurene