SC - Public Consumption [Was Distress in Trimaris]

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 27 21:11:23 PST 2000

The duck came out nice and crisp.  The sauce, alas, did not thrill me.  I
was redacting Ajete Para Ansarones -- Garlic Sauce for Geese -- which
I posted to this list a while back, along with some other garlic sauces.
It's nut-milk made with almonds, pine nuts and broth, flavored with
roasted garlic, sugar, and a touch of cinnamon and rosewater.  The
latter two weren't at all noticeable, but the sugar was, and I felt the
sweetness didn't blend well with the garlic.  It wasn't horrible, just not to
my taste.  The quantities were specified in the recipe, so I gather how
it's supposed to be.  I threw the leftover sauce into the freezer, to test
how well almond-milk based sauces freeze.

The good news is that I already have my eye on a couple of other
recipes that look promising.  There's a sauce in which the almond milk
is drawn up with pomegranate juice (I bet it's a lovely color) and a
Lenten dish -- Mirrauste de Manzanas -- which has apples cooked in
almond milk with sweet spices.

Brighid, getting hungry again

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)