SC - Re: OMIGOD- HAPPY MEALS AT CROWN TOURNEY

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Feb 28 10:42:40 PST 2000

Your thoughts about Roman food in Londinium are probably on target.
However, Rome did not fare very well in trying for the Emerald Coast, and
there is not much evidence beyond a coastal toe-hold or two that the
legions ever got any farther than the beach.  I don't think Roman food
would be appropriate at an early Irish/Viking Feast at all.  I would look
more toward typical Norse food, and work from there, taking into
consideration the foods available on Erin at the time.
	Christianna

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:55:03 -0800 Anne-Marie Rousseau <acrouss at gte.net>
writes:
> hey all from Anne-Marie
> Bonne asks us:
> Would it be realistic at all to serve a few recipes from Apicius at
> an event
> >themed around "the vikings are attacking the coast" of Ireland?
>
> it is my considered opinion that Apicius is perfectly appropriate
> for
> anyone trying to do a Romano-British thang. You know, all those
> British
> posers trying to impress the roman legionaires by building fancy
> baths and
> importing tilework and showing off how fancy shmancy they were and
> that
> they werent provincial at all, oh no! :)
>
> It makes sense to me that some Londinium resident might serve Roman
> food or
> even import a roman cook to impress the visiting dignitaries...
>
> just my thoughts...
> --AM

> SCA-Cooks".

===