SC - Brangwayna

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 17:31:22 PST 2000

I went to the url given and this is what I found:

"Feast Preferences

Drinks:
Gunnar: Iced Tea W/ Sweet-N-Low
Anastasiya: Red Hawaiian Punch or orange Tang

Favorites:
Meat & Potatoes
Cantelope
Bing Cherries
baby tomatoes*
cucumbers*
baby carrots*

DONT'S:
Organs (liver tongue etc)
Beets
Cooked Turnip
Lima Beans
*: W/ Rance (sic) Dressing

Their highnesses prefer above a meal being period that it be good.

Gunnar can however document blackberries for Vikings (Wink)."

Again, it seems that their Highnesses have been the victims of bad cooking.
I don't understand the attitude that period cooking is strange tasting and
therefore suspect.  The first feast I ever cooked 11 years ago was straight
out of "To the King's Taste" which I had acquired prior to joining the SCA,
on my one trip to NYC -- loved the MMOA.  I have been a cookbook collector
since high school.  In the Shire (now Barony) of Sentinels' Keep (Missoula,
MT) period food was and is expected at feasts.  I just had to learn how not
to make too much food -- old habits die hard.

We just have to keep presenting good tasting, well-prepared period food.  I
had some help as I was raised to always TRY a new food.  I have come to
enjoy and regularly prepare period food just for dinner at my house.  I do
want to build a wood-burning oven in my backyard for baking and roasting.
And as Lord Ras does, I try to grow as much of my herbs, greens, and fruit
as possible.  I want to plant a stand of wheat for making a bread A&S entry
but I don't have a lot of room.

Raoghnailt