SC -menu & looking for recipes

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Feb 29 11:28:26 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/29/00 2:05:06 PM, jehanne at netzero.net writes:

>If a cook realizes that
>preparing a dessert with pepper will make it taste 'odd' or unpleasent
>the modern palate, let them leave it out.

You know, I had this situation happen to me. I was faced with an unknown
spice: Camphor.  I thought about it alot. I was doing an Arts demo on food in
our region.
I considered leaving it out. But then, I realised what a disservice it was to
the original creator of the recipe, my potential targets( the populace) , and
myself for not experiencing the original recipe. And you know what happened?
They ate  the  item up!
I did tell them before they indulged, just in case they weren't sure. I'd say
only 3 out of 60 people turned up their noses before they tried it, and I had
multiple returns for more.

What we seem to need most is education. Giving in to the modern palate just
goes against everything I was raised to be. If you can't beat them, don't
join them. Show them what good things they are missing!!

Andrea