SC - Help with 1650s+ info

CONNECT at aol.com CONNECT at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 07:30:52 PST 2000

Good Gentles,

A lady in the Barony I just moved into is doing a very, very late period
feast. She's including hot chocolate from a receipe book in the 1660s. As she
had a few vegetable dishes left blank, I suggested a roasted potato dish to
please the fighting crowd the event is aimed at. I'm afraid the suggestion
met with a less than warm response.

My questions are:

Does Sir Digbie talk about potatoes in his book? Do any books of that time?

An argument could be made that potatoes aren't Elizabethan, but what about
this late date?

When is the first cookbook that contains a receipe for potatoes?

Your assistance is gratefully appreciated!
Rosalyn MacGregor
(Pattie Rayl)