SC - question about a book

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Thu Feb 3 16:48:09 PST 2000

<< ... but while it does contain numerous
footnotes and references, it does not have a
bibliography with the full details of the books
referenced.

On page 226 (fish dishes) it has a quote
referenced as follows :
(Capiteles de tous poissons/All Fish
Aldorbrandino, Le regime du corps, pp176-77)

Now, my question is in regard to the above as I am
not familiar with the reference.  ... >>

The referene is given on page 36, note 29 of Scully's book (if a book
has no bibliography, the reference should be somewhere in an earlier
footnote).

- -- Le régime du corps de maître Aldebrandin de Sienne. Ed. Louis
Landouzy and Roger Pépin. Paris 1911.

The common name of the author is Aldobrandino da Siena. He was an
Italian who worked as a medical doctor in Italy and France. He died in
1287. The work is 13th century. It belongs to those dietetic works that
deal among other things with the qualities of foods.

I know of no English translation, but there is an early 14th
century translation into Italian, that was published recently. If this
helps ;-)

- -- Baldini, Rossella (ed.): Zucchero Bencivenni, "La santà del corpo".
Volgarizzamento del "Régime du corps" di Aldobrandino da Siene (a. 1310)
nella copia coeva di Lapo di Neri Corsini (Laur. Pl. LXXIII 47). In:
Studi di Lessicografia Italiana 15 (1998) 21-300. [With lots of further