SC - Re: Recognition

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 13:54:29 PST 2000

>In Atlantia, cooks are almost always brought out to receive the
>populace's recognition {usually at the most mission-critical time in the
>kitchen, but who's going to tell the King you'd rather do it 5 minutes
>later?}.

In my observation, too often the high table toasts the cook and staff and
the populace applauds while someone goes to tell the staff, who may or may
not make it to the doorway before the populace and high table have turned
their attention away from toasting. In my case, I had word the Baron wanted
to talk to me, and when I went out the door I was 'vivat'-ed so quickly that
I never even went up the aisle in my confusion, much less gathered my staff.
  Oh well.

On the other hand, I have seen more than once the message sent back to high
table that the cook and staff will come out as soon as possible because of
work. Then when they come out when ready, the whole idea works better
because they are all out before the new announcment is made and the
applause/vivats start. Sometimes the head cook even takes the opportunity to
make some public thank you's of their own once they are up there.

Something to be very careful of: At a feast at which I was assisting, the
call-out was made and while the cook and her staff (incl. me) were in the
hall, Their Excellencies took the opportunity to give me an award because I
had missed court which resulted in the head cook's feeling as if she wasn't
recognized (it was her first feast).  The impression was left that I had
been cook, and that doing such was one of the reasons for the award.  Either
they never actually said the head cooks name before starting the thing with
me, or it wasn't heard, or Their Excellencies indeed thought I was the head
cook, or something.  I'm not sure.  Anyway, those of you with pointy hats,
if you do such a thing, make sure to clearly differentiate between the call
out vs. the quick court.  Or save the award for later--I've been called to
court twice and both times lacked the prescence of mind to remove my dirty
apron.

Bonne