SC - Ukrainian Easter Eggs

Debra R. Poole dpoole1 at airmail.net
Tue Feb 8 12:30:09 PST 2000

Greetings,

I also do pysanka (which is the name of the art form).  I
have found several sources for documentation.  Due to the
nature of the art form surviving specimens from period do
not exist as far as I know, (anyone has any other
information and I would love to know).  But I have secondary
documentation of a gift to an English King in the 1100 or
1200's.  I'll try to find the book it is in, it may take me
a while my library is not all out of storage.  I also have a
picture of an illuminated manuscript in a book that contains
an egg decorated similar to pysanka.  Since there is more
than one way to produce the look of pysanka I can not offer
this as absolute proof.   I also have several books on the
subject that I consider questionable at best for
documentation but the one that I have handy states that
decorating eggs started in ancient Egypt and Persia.  It
goes on to say that the art form was pre 998 in the Ukraine
which is the only date it has.  It's  bibliography does not
exist so for our purposes it is useless as documentation but
it is one of the best books I have seen on producing an egg.
Plus it covers a lot of the symbolism and back ground to the
art.  Everything from the type of wax used, the colors, the
amount of white or dark areas, and even the egg its self
means something.  The book is Decorating Eggs  by Jane
Pollak:  ISBN 0-8069-9420-7.  Now that is more than you ever
wanted to know about Easter eggs but if  I can answer any
other questions I will be happy to.  When I find the
remaining documentation I will post it.

Lady Meredudd Brangwyn
Barony of the Steppes
Kingdom of Ansteorra