SC - a chocolate question (beat me later)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 8 18:21:52 PST 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> > That wouldn't be that chestnut-based Hunyadi cake,
> > would it?
> Recipe, please?  ASAP?  Remember, I have chocolate and
> I know how to use it!!!! :-)
>
> Huette

>From Andre L. Simon's "Concise Encyclopedia of Gastronomy", Harcourt,
Brace, New York, 1952, quoted from Evelyn Bach's "Recipes from Hungary",
London, The Shenval Press, 1938

"HUNYADI CAKE

4 1/2 oz. sugar
12 chestnuts
6 oz. chocolate
5 yolks
5 whites of eggs
Jam

Cook, skin, and put the chestnuts through a sieve. Melt the chocolate.
Mix the chestnuts, chocolate, and yolks well together. Whip the whites
of eggs and fold them carefully in. Bake the mixture in two round cake
tins. Spread one cake with jam or whipped cream, cover with the second
half and ice."

NOTE: I seem to recall baking this in two eight-inch cake pans for about
15 minutes at 375 degrees F., sandwiching it with sieved raspberry jam,
dusting it with a mixture of powdered cocoa and confectioner's sugar,
then either serving it with Chantilly cream in immoderate quantities,
and on one occasion actually covering the entire cake with the cream,
beaten slightly stiffer than usual. It's pretty hard to figure what the
source means by "ice"; it could be anything from a simple glaze of some
kind to French buttercream. I always feel that in cases like this, let
the chocolate speak for itself and keep it simple. This is pretty
smashing stuff...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy