SC - RE: Turkeys

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 8 21:20:16 PST 2000

>I seem to remember other references that suggest that they were reasonably
>common domestic fowl in England post 1550.  Common enough that records
exist
>of them being driven to market and prices quoted.  If there is enough
>interest I will research this further and find the specific references in
my
>collection.  Please remember that with this fowl there is some historical
>confusion with the Guinea Hen.
>Daniel Raoul

While there is some confusion with the Guinea hen in written records,
their depiction in art is not,  The birds look completely different from
each
other.  Even in the 16th century Paduan manuscript, it is hard to deny the
characteristic red head and wattles of the American turkey from all other
European fowl.  That is why it is critical in the evaluation; as a visual
primary
source, it is unambiguous.  What is also important is that this particular
painting is of a peasant class woman taking assorted fowl to market to
sell.  This is prima facae evidence of turkeys being in common domestic
production early on.   Another important point to note is that there is no
evidence concerning the use of turkey eggs that I know of in period
documents.  This would be very consistant with actually hatching the
valuable eggs for meat production and more quickly spreading the poultry
breeding stock which was doubtless in heavy demand.   It would have
been such with the rapid displacement of peacock, swan and crane
(according to some authors) by the turkey.   This is especially true if
they were in adequate supply to provide a large number of them by 1553
for a Catherine d' Medici feast of some note.  At least what I
am seeing now is consistant with this premise.  I believe that
we, as an organized group of cooks, should pursue the topic of
turkeys and potatoes to the fullest and make some kind of
document of the findings for publication, perhaps TI. We, as
a group, have the advantage over independant researchers in that
we have an international base, especially those of us in Europe,
to find the documentation (or lack thereof) in many different
languages.  Particularly important also is that several of you good
gentles, SCA or not, read period language doucumentaion with
some facility.
It has always been somewhat  absurd to me, if early New World
foods, with the economy of turkey in particular, are so seldom seen
at feast.  I for one would rather have a good slice of turkey at feast
than most of the bad chicken legs and thighs I have been served
over the years in the name of budget.  Likewise, I would not mind
having a potato in lieu of some of the godawful and obscure
vegetables that some cooks have put before me in their desperation
for period veggies recipes.

Akim
"No glory comes without pain"