SC - RE: Turkeys

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Wed Feb 9 01:10:04 PST 2000

RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> It has always been somewhat  absurd to me, if early New World
> foods, with the economy of turkey in particular, are so seldom seen
> at feast.  I for one would rather have a good slice of turkey at feast
> than most of the bad chicken legs and thighs I have been served
> over the years in the name of budget.  Likewise, I would not mind
> having a potato in lieu of some of the godawful and obscure
> vegetables that some cooks have put before me in their desperation
> for period veggies recipes.
>
> Akim

Firstly, merely because the production and consumption of turkeys may be
well documented during the 16th century and later does not validate
their use during a feast when a goal of the feast is pre-16th century
cuisine. And remember, even if limiting SCA time to 600-1600 CE, the
still consigns post-1500 to the end 10% of SCA time. So while serving
turkey may be documentable for 10% of SCA time-span, it remains
undocumentable for 90% of SCA time-span. It would be just as absurd for
a cook seeking to recreate a menu from _Forme of Cury_ to choose turkey
or potatoes for the sake of taste or economy. Perhaps New World foods
appear at SCA feasts because they so seldom appeared during the minimal
1000 years of SCA Period. _If_ the goal is a late, end of Period feast,
then New World produce and game would be appropriate. :)

Secondly, poorly cooked chicken legs and thighs, and 'godawful and
obscure' vegetables suffer a problem in preparation, not so much
historic recipes, choice of ingredients, or economy. I can make a tasty
dish of barley, or I can ruin a good turkey. A common problem I
encounter with feasts is attempting to cook for 40-100 people with the
same methods as one would cook for 4-8. Because of the greater mass of
food to heat and cook from usually the same heat source, food tends to
be over- or under-cooked (or _both_), and/or under-seasoned. A good cook
can do wonderful things with mediocre food. A poor cook can ruin the
best of ingredients. While I understand you may have preferred a slice
of roast turkey breast or a nice baked/boiled potato, I have to wonder
if the same cooks would be able to do them justice. :)

Seumas