SC - barley bread

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 9 04:14:03 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Bear said:
> > The one statement I might agree with was that the common bread was
> > unleavened, as the primary grain for much of Europe was barley.  But there
> > is nothing particularly wrong with unleavened flat breads.
>
> Huh? Are you saying you can't leaven barley bread? Even with ale barm
> and such? What about barley/wheat mixes?

Oh, you can add leaven. It's just that on its own, barley has no gluten,
and instead of inflating with CO2, it sits there making sizzling noises
as the gas escapes, and bakes more or less into a flatbread anyway. Not
necessarily a cracker-like flatbread, more like a bannock. Adding some
wheat will improve this, as you say.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy