SC - Re: New World Food Rant / Counter Rant

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at swcp.com
Thu Feb 10 09:33:47 PST 2000

I have to agree with Lord Ras' position on this, although perhaps not for
the exact reasons. I see feasts as intended to enhance the experience of
historical re-creation. I would tend to reject perfectly tasty and period
recipes when designing a feast if I felt they were too familiar or
reminiscent of traditional American food, ie.turkey. We don't try to make
our food so weird that no one wants to try it, but something that's rather
exotic or different helps to jumpstart that mental twist that make you
feel afterwards that you've timewalked. There's so much out there to work
with (and the average American's diet is so plain) that it would be boring
to put all that work into just feeding people so they could get on to the
next "Medieval" event.

Mirhaxa

  mirhaxa at morktorn.com