SC - Penguins are period, & so are elephants...

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Feb 10 15:41:26 PST 2000

Magdalena quoted:

>"I had a portion cut off, which, roasted and broiled, I ate on board
ship... to
>be able to say that I had eaten of the flesh of an animal which had never
been
>previously eaten by my countrymen.  The flesh, actually, is not very good,
>seeming tough and insipid to me."

Oh, I don´t know - apparently the cooking method makes all the difference.
The following is Sir Samuel Baker´s description (1884) of an elephant´s food
cooked for 36 hours in an oven dug in the ground: "the elephant´s foot will
be deliciously cooked. The horny sole will detach like a shoe from a human
foot, exposing a delicate white surface like a silk stocking. This is
thoroughly good eating when hot; and with oil and vinegar when cold; it is
far better than the well-known Oxford brawn"
(quoted from The Oxford Companion to Food)

So Ras, you know what to try next in case you get fed up with testicles.
(BTW, it is testicle season in Iceland just now - all the shops are full of
them.)

Nanna
(who just had a very nice lamb´s head for dinner)