SC - Re:New World Foods-list penguins are period

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Feb 11 04:20:42 PST 2000

Adamantius sez:

>I remember seeing in a couple of sources that there are ways to remove
some or most of the fishiness you describe, either by purging the bird
in captivity for a short time, by removing some of the fat before
cooking and/or removing certain oil glands near the tail of a lot of
birds. See Schwabe's "Unmentionable Cuisine" and, I think, Simon's
"Concise Encyclopedia of Gastronomy" for details. <

One of the problems with wild duck, is that some of the species eat fish,
and thus acquire a fishy flavor. For duck pieces, the easiest way to remove
it is to soak it in milk- also helps with whole duck, if the flavor is very
strong- the other is to stuff the bird with onions and apples, loosely,
quartered, and roast slowly.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous