SC - Re: New World Foods: Rant/ Counter Rant

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 09:28:46 PST 2000

> << I am sure
>  that some list members in other parts of the world are now
>  wondering how there can be such disparities among Americans >>

No, not really. I think it's a problem everywhere. Last year a Coronation
feast I co-cooked up in East Anglia at a US Army camp based Shires came in
at UKP 3.80 (US$ 6) a head, which was astoundingly good.
This year at Crown feast I only just managed to achieve UKP 5.00 (US$ 8) a
head on my budget.
In September I intend to make myself popular ;-) by charging UKP 6 - 7 for
the feast at Lammas.
The regional differences between country and city are just as big here also
(though admittedly London is the most expensive city to live in in Europe),
but it works the other way around - especially when you add the astronomical
cost of hiring a public hall in London.

>I can go on with a list like this, but as far as the comments about
>"familar foods" being not what one expects at an SCA feast go,
>I am sick to death of chicken, pork and beef and junk fish.

Mmm, well perhaps you should suggest a greater variety of recipes used? If
you're doing a Catherine de Medici/1650+ feast, I would enjoy it greatly but
otherwise it would bug the heck out of me. Boiled chicken and roast pork are
just as boring the nth time around whether it's medieval or mundane cooking.
I can't see how the introduction of serial turkey would be any better. :-)

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536