SC - To Rant (Fine tuning my thoughts)

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 13 19:00:16 PST 2000

Ras writes:
>>White carrots are not extinct. You can buy the seed
through any good seed supplier. I have 10 packets laying
in front of me now. The seed packet says that they were
first grown and used in 10th century Persia. <<

I stand corrected.  A few sources I had read indicated that they
were extinct and I thought that the modern white carrots being
bred were a modern back-breeding and crossing of the original
wild carrot stock.  Either that, or they were the  result of something
like Gurney's and Burpee's reward for the first pure white marigolds.
If you would be so kind as to look at the packets you have and
share the name of the seed company that markets these carrots,
I am sure many of us would be most appreciative.

>>The position that we no longer have foods that are exactly the
 same as those used in the middle ages is an erroneous
concept. It simply is not true.<<

I think you have extrapolated my comments a little too far in
making them absolutes.   Yes, there certainly are many foods
which are virtually unchanged.  You mentioned apples.  Mainly
this is true only because a great scramble to salvage varietals
occurred in the middle of this century.  Rare apples were largely
saved only because there were some 150+ year old trees  found
in remote areas by chance that when grafted onto new root
stock once again bore fruit.  We lost a lot of them forever, most
unfortunately for we recreationists. Most of the foods that we have
that are basically unchanged either have very long life spans and
do not require renewal from seed (mainly grafted fruit trees), are
still quite common in the wild, or have been rarely popularized
sufficiently for a wide range of selective breeding to have taken
place (medlars, cornel cherries, etc.).  It is the short generational
food species that often have drifted considerably from the original.

My comments were directed mainly at such foods which have
also been changed through feeds and medicines.  Steroids,
antibiotics, packaged feeds all have had effects on food
species.  Also the factory-like manner in raising some animals
changes the flesh consistancy of muscle and fat considerably
from the original methods used in period.  Preservatives and
long term storage (canning, freezing etc.) also affect the
outcome of the taste and texture.  Mainly what I was
pointing out was that just because it was period and still
exists (beef, chicken, pork, melons, peaches, etc) doesn't
mean it is exactly like it was then, unless you CAN find the
heritage bred stocks that have original characteristics.   Any
one difference in not using heritage stock (if it still exists for
a species) can, and probably will, give different results.  An
example would be any dish made with store milk or cream.
Pasturization and homogenization, as well as differences in
butterfat content, do affect the sucess or failure of cheese
recipes.  In getting a result similar or as close as possible
to period forms, these differences become critical.

>>This doesn't mean that serious gardeners shun hybrids
 but rather a concerted effort to keep heirloom and
historical varieties alive and well is in place. <<

Absolutely!  As I said, I hope to make Glaedenfeld
Centre a new sanctuary for many of these species.
I just meant that supermarket mutton or beef
is different from the precious, unchanged stock
we still have.  Until we, as recreationists, set up our
own production of them in sufficient quantities to
actually eat them without endangering their survival
as a breed, we are not going to experience the
tastes of a wide range of truely period foods (as closely
as some of us would wish to accomplish).  This is going
to be a long term project for those of us who are
interested in doing this.

>>Be that as it may, I don't think that those of us on
the list that advocate being as close to period as
possible are out of line. <<

Your comment upon my considering some list participants
being "out of line" really do not completely reflect my
personal  views.  I actually prefer authenticity to faking it.
My criticism was directed at the inconsistancies I see
in many instances of being so absolutely  in "period"
in one thing and being so general and vague in some
other similar aspect (whether in cooking, garb or craft)
that I look upon things or statements sometimes with
"one eye askance".  I believe that appropriate levels of
authenticity should match the appropriate SCA usages.
A feast at a Kingdom A&S Faire should be expected to
be more accurate to period than a small shire hosting its
first event.  On an individual basis, use similar common sense.
One should not go (for practical reasons) and do elaborate
period embroidery for a child's field garb or enter a period
sounding/ looking but undocumentable item in a high
level A&S competition.   Here in our area, we bestow
high honors on projects "from the ground up".  This
might be growing and raising everything you use in
a period feast; mining bog iron and forging it it a blade;
or making a powderpuff for Elizabethan cosmetics
(which you also compound) by killing a mole, curing the
pelt, carving the wood base and putting the whole thing
together with period tools (which you also made yourself).
SIMPLY AWESOME!!

I hope that ten years from now, there will be "from the
ground up" feasts at Glaedenfeld Centre prepared in
a replica of a period Elizabethan kitchen and not a
contemporary stainless steel kitchen.  This will present
some interesting and educational challenges and
opportunities.

I think, by and large, I am in good accord with most of
your statements about deceptive cooks and game
use and availability. I particularly agree with your
concluding statement:

>>Other folks mileage may vary but doing the best you
can with what is available, preplanning, bulk purchasing,
growing your own or having someone else grow it, letting
the vendors/merchants know what you want in advance,
and carefully planning the menu around what is available/
seasonal and only using recipes which contain ingredients
 that are available will almost always result in a feast that
is as close to period as possible for any given area.<<

Excellent advice and well worth remembering!

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"