SC - food prices

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 13 21:01:02 PST 2000

Ras commented:
> Because the feast was eminent, I chose to substitute emu, which was ready for
> slaughter, for the ostrich. On the 'claw,' I paid 100 dollars for the bird.
> There was 47 pounds of meat on the carcass, not including the neck (which was
> used for making broth). At a little over 2 dollars a pound, it was way
> cheaper than beef or lamb was at the time. For various reasons, pork was not
> an option.

But this "a little over 2 dollars a pound" was for unprocessed meat, right?
Were you comparing this price to unprocessed or processed beef and lamb?

How much of this 47 pounds was useable? Or was this the useable wieght
after processing? If this was 47 pounds after processing, what was the
wieght originally, before processing?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net