SC - Re: New World Foods: Rant/ Counter Rant (Long)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 22:18:26 PST 2000

- --- Christine A Seelye-King <mermayde at juno.com> wrote:
> Hoo, boy, well, ok, I wasn't going to get in on this
> whole rant thing,
> but since Akim specifically asked, I'll throw in my
> two cents worth:
> <snip>
> >The salmon I purchased for $1 per pound in Sept.
> when it was salmon
> season.
> 	I have never seen salmon at this price, which > is
probably a good thing, as my lord and I would
> make ourselves sick on it ;)

If you lived anywhere in the Pacific Northwest during
August or September, then the price of Salmon goes way
down.  It is not unusual to find salmon during these
months at $1 per pound if you don't mind buying the
mostly whole fish.  What I bought was only minus their
heads and internal organs.  My crew and I spent many
hours scaling and boning 100 lbs of salmon.  But it
was worth it.  I wish I had had more freezer space and
bought some for myself.  I bought some salmon steaks
last month and paid $1.98 per pound.

> 	I would go along with this, although it is my
> belief that the cost of
> living on the left coast is higher than it is here,
> but produce prices in
> the land of the San Joaquin Valley are unbeatable,
> if the tales are to be
> believed ;).

Not just the San Joaquin Valley but also the Coachella
Valley and Imperial County.  There is very few things
that we don't grow.  And when things are out of
season, we import a lot from Chile, Australia and New
Zealand.  The only real expensive things here are
houses.

Speaking of cheap produce, there was an article in
Friday's LA Times that the Southern California crop of
strawberries has been incredible so far.  They have
picked 3 million crates of strawberries so far, and
still have a lot more picking to do, although I am
wondering how much the rain we have had the past
couple of days will affect the strawberries.  They
were predicting that strawberries will be very
inexpensive this year.  They had no prediction about
the Northern California crop yet as it won't be ready
for picking for another three months.

Huette