SC - Re: SC- Tidbits

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Feb 14 16:18:56 PST 2000

Was written:

>>Citrus fruits (and their juices) are most common in period recipes from
>>southern Europe, especially Spain and Italy.
>>Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
>
>Actually, lemons were a well known fruit in Roman times,
>imported from Asia minor.   They never caught on in cooking
>of that time however; they were only used as decorative fruit.
>Probably there were a few instances of trees in southern
>Italy grown from seed, but they were likely curiousities and
>died out with the fall of Rome.  Therefore, they were Re-introduced
>from the Arabic cultures, likely through Portuguese traders in the
>early13th century.  Lemons were grown in Persia in biblical times.

My readings suggest that the reintroduction was also occuring via Sicily and
Spain.  Sicily after it was retaken by the Normans, Roger the Count and his
son Roger the King, as a "prelude" to the first Crusade.  By the way Ricard
the Lionheart's sister was married to the King of Sicily.

I have a recipe for very early 17th century lemonaid and a "sangria" type
drink made with red wine, apples, and lemons.   If anyone is interested I
will supply the  reference and the recipes.

Daniel Raoul

Daniel Raoul le Vascon de Navarre'