SC - To Rant or not To Rant ???

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 17:36:45 PST 2000

- --- Christi Rigby <christirigby at pcisys.net> wrote:
> I am considering things you find in an everyday
> grocery store.  Not a
> special ordered specialty food.

That can vary from area to area.  Obviously, what one
area considers "normal" food, another might consider
"specialty" food.

Regarding rabbit.  My local stores don't carry rabbit,
but if I went to the next city south of my hometown,
which is primarily Hispanic, I find rabbit offered in
their regular meat section; no special order required.
In the same grocery chains that I have in my hometown.
The same if I went to the next city west of here,
which is primarily Asian.  From what I know, the
market chains allow the individual store managers
latitude to provide, at reasonable cost, foods that
the customers demand.  Since my hometown is primarily
white, they don't stock rabbit.  Which I find ironic
in some respects because my great-uncle was one of the
founding fathers of my hometown and he used to raise
rabbits here for food and fur, from 1920 until 1952.

There used to be a wonderful restaurant in Pasadena,
called Brotherton's Farmhouse.  They had rabbit as a
regular item on their menu.  Unfortunately, they
closed their doors 10 years ago.  Now, I can only find
rabbit in German restaurants; i.e. hasenpfeffer.

Huette