SC - Sauces with sour oranges

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 14 22:05:46 PST 2000

Lorix asked:
> I have been looking at sauces
> that can be served over roasted chicken and have collected a number of them.

You might check this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
sauces-msg        (80K)  2/ 2/00    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.

There are at least two recipes in there for sauces using bitter
oranges. I made one of these in early February for the Royalty Luncheon
I served. I used Seville oranges and it went over well. I believe the
original recipe was as a chicken sauce, but I served it for the duck.
it was also good on the roast beef, though.

And yes, the sour oranges are much more bitter than the regular oranges
I am used to. Also more expensive and uglier.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net