SC - Re: [SCA-HUMOR] The Top 20 Failed Haggis Marketing Ploys

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 15 04:03:06 PST 2000

Glenda Robinson wrote:

> Adamantius,
>
> I'm shocked and stunned! I thought you knew everything!

I was wearing my Human Aspect. My Divinity was in my other pants... ;  ).

> Philip (aka Phil the Greek) is NOT Prince Consort. He's the Queen's Husband.
> To be Consort you actually have to have that title bestowed on you, and this
> hasn't been done. No reason known as to why. Maybe being a husband is
> enough.

Actually, I wasn't sure about it, I just sort of assumed, he being Her
Majesty's Squeeze and all...I just needed some way to distinguish Prince
Philip from the other princes some SCAdians might immediately think of.
"Prince Philip? Is he some kingdom's Crown Prince, or some
Principality's ruler? I wonder if he fights two-sword?"

>  A couple of years ago Princess Anne was given the title "Princess Royal".
> That was sprayed over all the TV, newspapers, Women's mags etc etc, so I'm
> sure I would have heard had Phil been made consort.

I expect so...

> Phil's website is at http://www.royal.gov.uk/family/philip.htm
>
> Again, I'm shocked that  there is something you don't know, Adamantius.

Doyle portrayed Sherlock Holmes as being unaware of the heliocentric
model of the solar system...actually, I thought I'd heard the term
applied to Philip. Have there been any others, other than Albert? Am I
confusing the two [in re a capacity as Prince Consort?]? Apart from
facial hair, is there much of a difference?

> BTW: I recently ate some haggis made by members of a 19th century scots
> highland reenatment regiment - the version I had tasted not unlike pate. So
> tasty I went back for more. The whisky they were throwing around wasn't
> wasted either!

Makes sense. As I mentioned in another post, good food is good, bad food
is bad, and the mere fact that a badly executed version of a dish
_might_ exist doesn't make it a bad dish. God sends us good meat, and
the Devil sends cooks, etc. I think the majority of people who diss
haggis have never actually tried it; it's "common knowledge" how
grotesque it is -- it is a cultural icon of nastiness. I distinctly
remember being told very early in life, by my otherwise very urbane
mother displaying a rare streak of humorous, whimsical xenophobia, about
this horrible dish whose repulsiveness was legendary. Personal
experience has indicated otherwise, though. I've never had really bad
haggis, just bland haggis, and that's easily fixed. Mantras for the cook
to repeat include "It is a sausage and should be seasoned accordingly:
it is _supposed_ to be spicy," and "Haggis should never come out of a
can."

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy