SC - recipe request

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Tue Feb 15 16:55:25 PST 2000

I previously wrote:

I have a recipe for very early 17th century lemonaid
>and a "sangria"
>type
>drink made with red wine, apples, and lemons.   If
>anyone is interested
>will supply the  reference and the recipes.

Due to numerous requests here is the book cited;

"The Grand Masters of French Cuisine; Five Centuries of fo Great Cooking
(Reciepes Selected and Adapted by Celine Vence and Robert Courtine edited
with Introductory Notes, by Philip and Mary Hyman) G.P. Putnam's Sons New
York 1978  Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 78-57581  SBN:
399-12220-6.  Orginally published in France as Les Grands Maitres de la
Cuisine Francaise, 1972, Bordas

page 284

Limonade, La Varenne 1651

Ingredients: (for 4 1/3 cups): 4 lemons, 2/3 cup of sugar, 4 1/3 cups of
water

The lemons:  Wash and dry lemons.  Cut three lemons in half and squeeze out
their juice.  Reserve.  Squeese the rinds to extract the oils contained in
them.  Add to juice.

The lemonade:  Dissolve the sugar ina pitcher with the water.  Add the lemon
juice to the water and sugar.  Peel the fourth lemon, and cut into thin
slices.  Remove the seeds and place the slives in the pitcher with the
lemonade.

To serve: Keep the lemonade in a cool place. Stir before serving.

This was adapted from a recipe in the book "Le Cuisinier francois:Enseignant
la maniere de bien appreter et assaisonner toutes sortes de viandes grasses
et maigres, legumes, patisseries et autres mets que servent tant sur les
tables des Grands que particuliers"  ("The French Cook: Teaching the Manner
of Preparing and Seasoning All Sorts of Meats, Both Flesh and Fish,
Vegetables, Pastries and other Dishes Served at the Tables of the Great
Lords as Well as Those of Simple Individuals").   The book was written by La
Varenne, head cook to the Marquis d'Uxelles.

Vin Des Dieux (Wine of the Gods)  Pierre de Lune  1656

Ingredients (for 4 1/3 cups): 4 lemons, 4 apples, 10 cloves, 3 cups sugar, 1
tablespoons orange-flower, 4 1/3 cups burgundy

Preparing the ingredients: Peel the lemons.  Cut them into slices, and
remove the seeds.  Peel the apples.  Remove the seeds and cores.  Cut into
thin slices.

Making the punch:  Place the lemons, apples , cloves, sugar, and
orange-flower water in a punch bowl or large stoneware jar with a cover.
Pour in the wine.  Stir well.  Cover and let stand for 3 hours.

To Serve: Strain out the solids.  Serve cool in large glasses.

This was adapted from a recipe in the book "Le Cuisinier, Ou il est traite
de la veritable methode pour apprester toutes sortes de viandes, gibier,
volailles, poissons tant de mer que d'eau douce.  Suivant les quatres
saisons de l'annee.  Ensemble la maniere de faire toutes sortes de
patisseries tant froides que shaudes, en perfection."  ("The Cook, in Which
is shown the True Method for Preparing All sorts of MEat, Game, Poultry, and
Both Saltwater and Freshwater Fish.  According to the Four Seasons of the
Year.  As Well as the Best Way to Make all Sorts of Pastries, Both Hot and
Cold, to Prefection.")   The book is attributed to Pierre de Lune, then head
cook of the Duke of Rohan.

No orginal recipe was provided in the text so you will have to go to the
orginal for it.  In the second recipe I have found that the apples once
extracted for dessert are as good as the drink.  In truth the drink is a bit
to sweet for my tastes, I recommend squeezing some of the lemons.

Daniel Raoul