SC - selecting fruits and vegetables

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 16 21:51:43 PST 2000

Seumas commented:
> I am always amused catching out of the corner of my eye the bewildered,
> older homemakers as we both pick over the produce, inspecting each
> square inch, tapping, weighing in our hands. Occasionally, I let out a
> modest 'hrumph' under my breath and put it back down.

Ok, for those new cooks here, like me, can someone list what to look for
or what to avoid when picking out individual fruits and vegetables in
the
produce department?

Or if this varies too much within a particular type of item, what some
good sources would be to find this info?

This doesn't include doing things like not buying beets because you thought
they were turnips, like I did a few weeks ago. I determined they weren't
turnips at home when I cut one open and it was quite red. :-)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net