SC - Re: rolling pins

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Thu Feb 17 09:15:39 PST 2000

Seumas said:
> I stopped in one of the local cooking stores this evening, just to
> browse, drool, dream, plot, and contemplate. They had some new rolling
> pins. Very simple design, long and thin, with no handles (neither the
> thicker, shorter US style with handles, nor the long, thin tapered
> French style I also know). Hardwood about 3cm x 50cm.  Made in eastern
> Europe. Had a real nice feel and balance. Wackable.

This is the _best_ shape for a rolling pin!  I have two which are
actually granite drill-cores, swiped for me by my mother and her
significant other from a dam construction site somewhere in rural
Zimbabwe... :>  They're solid stone cylinders about 3cm in diameter,
with pretty patterns because it's granite, and come in lengths up to
several metres... (mine are about 40-50cm).  They heft nicely in the
hand for the threatening of kitchen perpetrators, and you can chill
them for temperamental pastry work.  (The big secret is not to let
members of the household use them for mock rapier battles - the
granite breaks quite easily if you tap the pins together more than
very lightly...)

yrs in comparative rolling-pin anthropology,
Jehanne
Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/stidings.htm