SC - Harrumph!!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 17:35:36 PST 2000

- --- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:

> Ouch! No chauvinistic or offense meant- a pronoun
> problem, perhaps, in
> that I did not make clear that is how _Oregonians_
> feel about their
> berries.
>
> Oregon strawberries tend to be smaller, red all the
> way through, with
> more concentrated flavour. California berries (which
> are available in
> stores even now! How?) tend to be quite large,
> white-centered, with a
> lighter taste. One of the other may be more
> appropriate depending on
> what you are planning to make of them.
>
> Is that better? :-)
>
> 'Lainie

Yes. :-)

How are California berries in stores now?  Because
they are So. Cal. grown, since we have no winter to
speak of.  As that LA Times article that I read
indicated, they have harvested over 3 million crates
as of last week.

>From a website I looked at recently, there are many
different varieties of strawberries, some are small
and more intensely flavored, some are big and juicy.
I think it depends on what variety the farmer planted,
that indicates how it will taste.  Not the region it
was grown in.

Anyway, it is a joy to eat strawberries, no matter
where they are grown, no matter what season.

Huette