SC - Sausages

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 17 19:37:02 PST 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> > <<Unmentionable Cuisine>>

> Is this cookbook worth buying?  If so, please list the
> author, publisher etc.?

Calvin W. Schwabe, University Press of Virginia, Charlottesville, 1979
and 1992. ISBN 0-8139-1162-1

I think it's worth buying, although to be honest it isn't always what I
would consider the definitive source for several of its recipes. Its
whole point/crusade is to get people to admit that we are eating
something like 20% of our viable protein sources, and that a measurable
proportion of the world's population is starving to death because we
aren't using our resources properly, in his view due to food prejudices.
Basically, eat a squid, or an armadillo, a piece of calves' liver, or a
witchetty grub and help fight world hunger.

While there are no other easily available sources for some of its
material, some of what it does contain is available elsewhere, better.
So, for example, while Schwabe does want us all to eat little bony fish,
and they are included in his bouilliabaise recipe, and quite
authentically so, it's not the first place I'd look for a proper
bouilliabaise recipe: I'd check out Curnonsky, or Larousse, or even
Julia Child, first. But they don't tell you how to skin and bake a
muskrat ;  ).

Another thing about UC is that if you're the kind of cook that needs (or
even  _wants_, Huette ;  )  ) everything spelled out in detail, you may
be mystified with Schwabe's instructions that call for some large turkey
testicles sauteed in just enough olive oil, and then add some mushrooms
and cook till done, I'd say you'd have to be at least an enthusiastic
amateur cook, rather than a complete beginner, to benefit fully from it.

With those caveats, though, I'll simply say it's fun, informative
reading and I'm very glad to own a copy.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com