SC - Pickled Onions and Eggs - Recipes pleas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Feb 19 20:52:52 PST 2000

Christianna asked:
> Yum, this sounds really good, and just when we were talking about Tavern
> Foods for our Pennsic Party (yes, Damon and I are in charge of the
> Meridian Pennsic Party again this year, so we are looking for period
> tavern foods that are also more or less finger foods).  Is this supposed
> to be from a period source, or does he know?  Since this seems to be from
> a Spanish source, Lady Brighid, does it look familiar to you?

I think the original poster said it wasn't from a definite period source.

It also lists as an ingredient, allspice. I don't know if removing the
allspice would make it close to any known period recipes or not.

You might find these files of use in your search for tavern foods:
In the FEASTS section:
Tavern-Feast-art  (14K)  1/13/99    An all-day tavern-style feast.

In FOOD:
finger-foods-msg  (20K) 12/ 7/99    Ideas for finger foods at feasts and events.
meat-pies-msg     (98K) 12/30/99    Period meat pies. Recipes.
pickled-food-msg (105K) 12/17/99    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
sausages-msg      (86K) 10/20/99    Period sausages. Making sausage.
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (11K) 12/17/99    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled eggs.
pretzels-msg      (19K)  1/14/00    Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.

In FOOD-SWEETS:
candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
cookies-msg       (57K)  1/12/00    Period cookies. Recipes.

Stefan, who got to sample some of the food at last year's Meridies party
and would love the chance to do it again.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net