Quail Eggs- Was Re: SC - Substitute for Lovage

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 20 04:48:04 PST 2000

Glenda Robinson wrote:

> (And to answer my own question about the quail eggs - from what I found
> somewhere obscure on the net, you can plunge them straight into boiling
> water for 3 minutes - that's the only one I've found as yet. Hope it works,
> as I scared up 2 doz. of them for a part of a Roman entree - I'll sacrifice
> one as an experiment first!)

Sorry, I meant to reply to your original query, then sent out the thing
about lovage without the reply AGAIN!

3 minutes (maybe 4, depending on how well done you like them) makes a
fair amount of sense, I think. I was taught that for the
plunge-into-boiling-water method, eight minutes makes a perfectly
hard-boiled hen's egg, and it does seem pretty foolproof. I guess you
have to figure, based on diameter, a hair under half that, which is
three minutes. You could try one or two at three minutes and see if you
like them that way.

BTW, I found a demitasse spoon is great for peeling quail's eggs in
quantity. Crack and roll them gently, pull off the part of the shell
where the little air cavity usually is, then you can slip the wet spoon
between the shell and the white. It works with minimal tearing, but
seems somewhat faster than using the hands alone.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com