SC - Re: Asparagus

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 21 05:46:12 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/20/00 9:16:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, ChannonM at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << I have to say that although Vehling is off on a lot, sometimes he has some
>  insight that Flowers & Rosenbaum lack. >>
>
> Example outside Vehling's propensity to 'adapt' Victorian gastronomical
> techniques to Roman recipes?
>
> Ras

Yes, outside that. This is a case where Flower [there's no "s" in her
name] & Rosenbaum appear to have guessed at an unusual form of a Latin
verb, and it seems possible they simply got it wrong. Actually, what
they say about blanching and recooking asparagus makes perfect sense,
but whether the technique is what was suggested in the original text is
questionable.

Adamantius, saddened but wiser
- --
Phil & Susan Troy