SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1904

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Mon Feb 21 08:19:43 PST 2000

sca-cooks wrote:

> sca-cooks          Monday, February 21 2000          Volume 01 : Number 1904
>
> In this issue:
>
>     Re: SC - Substitute for Lovage
>     Re: SC - Substitute for Lovage
>     Re: SC - Re: Asparagus
>     SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     SC - Icelandic Turkey
>     Re: SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     RE: SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     Re: SC - RE: selecting roots and vegetables
>     Re: SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     RE: SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     RE: SC - 1430-1450 recipe for Strawberye...
>     SC - quail eggs
>     Re: SC - RE: selecting roots and vegetables
>     Re: SV: SC - 1430-1450 recipe for Strawberye...
>     Re: SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     Re: SC - Pork or Boar in the TREES!
>     SC - period radishes
>     Re: SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     Re: SC - quail eggs
>     Re: SC - 1430-1450 recipe for Strawberye...
>     Re: SC - quail eggs
>     SC - OT- Radishes, was: selecting roots and vegetables
>     Re: SC - Re: Asparagus
>     Re: SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     SC - Strawberye
>     Re: SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land
>     Re: SC - RE: selecting roots and vegetables
>     Re: SC - Russian Birch Beer?
>     SC - Lovage
>     Re: SC - 1430-1450 recipe for Strawberye...

> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:43:18 EST
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Substitute for Lovage
>
> In a message dated 2/20/00 7:23:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> glendar at compassnet.com.au writes:
>
> << I've tried to get lovage, and have been unable to get it. Does anyone know
>  what other herb I can substitute without the recipes turning really nasty? >>
>
> Try the leaves from celery or ground celery seed.
>
> Ras
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:44:36 EST
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Substitute for Lovage
>
> In a message dated 2/20/00 7:38:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << I guess what I'm trying to say is that lovage tastes like
>  celery... ;  ) >>
>
> Are you sure you weren't trying to say that lovage tastes 'similar' to
> celery? :-)

Johann responds;
 Yes, use celery, Lovage is thought to be the ancestral plant form which
celery evolved. The difference being that L. grows quite tall and does
not develope the large spatulate stalks that celery does. Lovage has a
rather strong celery taste and can be quite bitter, use it sparingly.
 If you cannot find L. use a little extra celery seed or leaf as
suggested before. BTW L. can also carry a little coriander flavor,
somewhat sharp and metallic, so you may consider a combination of
Celery, Coriander and Parsley to best imitate Lovage's flavor.

Johann, who grows Lovage and uses it in several dishes,including a
wonderful Tuna salad!!