SC - Chocolate: An Indian Drinke

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Mon Feb 21 17:00:14 PST 2000

Morwyn wrote:

> I now find myself studying chocolate history in order to get some real
> answers for all the folks around here (and everywhere else, it would seem!)
> who are always trying to finesse chocolate into SCA period feasts. I know
> that cacao/cocoa was known by the Spanish well before 1600, but I also know
> it wasn't in Hershey bar or Chocolate Fudge Decadence, etc. cake form.

I have this personal and odd habit of making a hot drink from
unsweetened cocoa powder with just a touch of sugar. Much more like a
cup of coffee than the familiar cup of hot chocolate, as it's watery and
bitter. Seems I got into the habit years ago reading some now vague
reference to early consumption of cocoa being a bitter drink, without
the sugar and milkfats so common today.

The local discount grocery chain (Food 4 Less) in the nearby city has a
small endcap for predominately New Zealand & Polynesian imports, like
tinned mutton and Arnott's biscuits. One time they had whole cocoa beans
(not sure if they were there as well, or just stocked on that shelve). I
got some, but sadly, the moths got to them first. I still have the cone
of Polynesian 100% Koko paste, but haven't used it yet.

Seumas