SC - chicken broth questions

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Feb 22 09:47:37 PST 2000

Ok, time for some more newbie cook questions.

I bought some chicken last night to use with an Indian spice
mix. Because leg quarters with skin were only 67 cents per
pound compared to at least double that for skinless thigh
meat or four dollars per pound or so for skinless chicken breast,
I bought them.

When I got home I found out the recipe called for skinless,
boned or boneless chicken meat. This morning I proceeded to
peel off the skin. I will admit that I got better at it by
the fourth one.

However, I noticed that the skin, and the fat I removed,
make up a greater volume than I thought they would. I still
think this may be better economically than buying the
skinless variety. This time I just threw out the skin and
fat, but I'm wondering if it would be reasonable to save
it for something, like making chicken broth.

Is it worth saving both the fat and skin? The fat only?
If I boil it to make broth, would the skin and fat alone
be sufficent or must I also save the bones and meat scraps?
If you serve the meat with the bones still in it, would
you make some broth with just the skin and fat or save the
skin and fat until you had bones and scraps from serving a
boned chicken dish? Freeze it as a broth and add bones and
chicken scraps later and boil some more to get a richer
broth?

I know we've discussed making broths before, but I don't
remember these specific questions being asked or answered.
(See the Florilegium file, broths-msg).

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net