SC - Suggestions for a mushroom dish?

The Cheshire Cat cheshire at southcom.com.au
Tue Feb 22 14:31:25 PST 2000

And it came to pass that Lorix wrote:

>Good fortune the list.
>
>I am compiling my recipes for a feast & have come
>across a slight problem.  Attending the feast will
>be a couple of people with a variety of food
>preferences and/or allergies.  Now I am fine with
>most things but I am looking for a protein dish
>for a lactose intolerant vegetarian (in this case
>meaning no fish or chicken, butter, cheese or
>other dairy products).  Now, this basically
>precludes pastry dishes too ;-(  In this
>particular case, eggs are somewhat of a problem
>because it is an animal product . . .
>
>I've got it covered for the rest of the meal, but
>would like to serve a period 'protein' dish for
>this 'category'.  I have been thinking about
>something containing a mix of nuts & mushrooms,
>but would welcome any suggestions and especially
>any recipes.
>
>Much thanks,
>
>Lorix

I have a recipe for sauteed mushrooms with spices that meets all the
requirements stipulated above.  I hope it helps.
- -Katerine of the Twisted Woods

SAUTEED MUSHROOMS WITH SPICES
Libro della cucina del secolo XIV

Toglie fungi di monte, e lessali: e gittatene via l'acqua, mettili poi a
friggere con cipolla tritata minuto, o con bianco di porro, spezie trite, o
senza.

English Translation:

Take mountain mushrooms and boil them; and discard the water; then fry them
with finely sliced onion, or with white of leek, spices and salt, and serve

500g mushrooms.  Brown ones from purity work pretty well here for some reason.
1 small leek
olive oil
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 pinch ground ginger
1 pinch grated nutmeg
2 pinches ground coriander seed
salt

Trim and clean the mushrooms and cut them in half if they are partcularly
large.  Cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes and drain well.
  Meanwhile finely chop the white part of the leek and sweat it in a little
olive oil until very soft.  Add the mushrooms and raise the heat to high.
Saute for a minute.  Season with the spices, lower the heat, cover the pan
and simmer for about 15 minutes.  Remember to check on the mushrooms from
time to time and give them a stir.  Serve when they are golden brown.

Scale up and down the recipe as you see fit.